This 2018 Iditarod Race Tour Package starts in the village of McGrath, an area steeped in Alaskan mining history and Athabaskan Indian culture. In McGrath we will visit the remnants of Old Town McGrath, the jumping off point for miners headed to the gold rush in Iditarod, Cripple and Ophir. We will visit the McGrath Museum and meet local experts on the history of the area. We will also fly to Nikolai and Takotna, traditional Athabaskan Indian villages. In McGrath, Nikolai and Takotna you will be cheering the mushers on as they enter and leave the checkpoints and visiting with them. Night time often bring spectacular displays of Northern Lights. You will find this tour to be richly rewarding in both the interaction you will have with the Iditarod racers and the local residents.
The Bering Sea is a unique environment and March is a wonderful time to experience it. Flying along the coastline as we visit the Unalakleet and White Mountain checkpoints gives us wonderful views of this frozen expanse. We then travel along the frozen coastline and surrounding snow covered hills by snowcat to the safety checkpoint, an experience you won't want to miss. In the villages of Unalakleet and White Mountain we will get a taste of the Inupiaq Eskimo culture and lifestyle. Plus, being at the finish line when the Iditarod Champion comes up the chute is a perfect finish to this fantastic tour.
14 Day Checkpoints and Nome Finish Tour Package Highlights
- Scenic flight over the Alaska Range and Rainy Pass.
- Sightseeing excursion along the Iditarod trail.
- Visit to the Athabaskan village of Nikolai
- Visit to the Takotna checkpoint in the historic Iditarod Mining District.
- Optional Dog Mushing, snowmobiling and flight seeing activities.
- Opportunity to be a volunteer checker at the McGrath checkpoint.
- Scenic flight across Norton Sound to the village of Unalakleet at the mouth of the Unalakleet River.
- Scenic flight along the Iditarod Trail and Bering Sea to the picturesque village of White Mountain
- Helicopter sightseeing excursion along the Iditarod Trail from Nome to the Safety Checkpoint.
- Snowcat sightseeing excursion to Anvil Mountain for Muskox viewing and exploring the historic Dredge #5.
- Five mile dog sled ride and mushing lesson
- Informative Nome Tour with visit to the Nome Museum and Cultural Center
- Lunches and dinners in Nome's best restaurants, including a farewell dinner of Norton Sound King Crab .
- Continental breakfasts
- Tickets to the Iditarod Finisher's Banquet
- Standing at the historic burl arch as the winning musher crosses the finish line.
- Opportunity for Northern Lights viewing
Cost and Details
March 5 - March 19, 2018. $7700 shared
accommodation, single supplement: $900-$1900 depending on availability.
- 1 night Accommodation in Anchorage
- 4 nights Accommodation in McGrath
- 9 Nights Accommodation in Nome
- Continental Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners in McGrath.
- Continental Breakfasts and Dinners in Nome.
- Tour of Nome Museum and Cultural Center
|Flights between Anchorage and McGrath
Flights bewtween McGrath and Nikolai
Flights between McGrath and Takotna
Flights bewteen Nome and Unalakleet
Flights between Nome and White Mountain
Helicopter ride to the Safety Checkpoint
Snowcat ride to Anvil Mountain and Dredge #5
Not Included on Tours: Airfare between Anchorage and Nome, alcoholic beverages, gratuities and optional activities..