2014 Iditarod Race Tours
Our 2014 17 Day Iditarod Race Tour Package is designed to let you experience all of the excitement of the race start, visit with the mushers at checkpoints along the race trail and experience the lifestyles and cultures of these remote villages, enjoy some fabulous sightseeing and wildlife viewing along Turnagain Arm and take a fantastic dog team tour. We start this tour with an incredible 3.5 hour dog mushing tour to the base of Exit Glacier. At the Iditarod Race Banquet you will mingle with the mushers, have photo ops with them and the opportunity to wish them well. Clients have the option to go through the dog handler certification that allows them to help bring the sled dogs up to the starting line at the Race start. How exciting is that for Iditarod fans! Optional activities at Alyeska include dog sled rides, snowmobiling, helicopter rides and of course skiing.
Once we leave Anchorage and fly over the spectacular Alaska Range to the village of McGrath, we will be in an area steeped in Alaskan mining history and Athabaskan Indian culture. In McGrath we will visit the remnants of Old Town McGrath, the jumping off point for miners headed to the gold rush in Iditarod, Cripple and Ophir. We will visit the McGrath Museum and the Fish and Wildlife office to meet local experts on the history of the area. We will also fly to Nikolai and Takotna, traditional Athabaskan Indian villages. You will find this tour to be richly rewarding in both the interaction you will have with the Iditarod racers and the local residents.
The Bering Sea is a unique environment and March is a wonderful time to experience it. Flying along the coastline as we visit the Unalakleet and White Mountain checkpoints gives us wonderful views of this frozen expanse. We then travel along the frozen coastline and surrounding snow covered hills by snowcat to the safety checkpoint, an experience you won't want to miss. In the villages we will get a taste of the Inupiaq Eskimo culture and lifestyle. Plus, being at the finish line when the Iditarod Champion comes up the chute is a perfect finish to this fantastic tour.
17 Day Iditarod Race Tour Package Highlights
- Attending the Iditarod Race Starts in Anchorage and Willow.
- Learning to drive your own dog team at Seavey's Ididaride Kennel
- Stay at the spectacular Alyeska Ski Resort
- Attend the Musher's Banquet
- Opportunity to be an Iditarod team dog handler with VIP privileges.
- Scenic drive along Turnagain Arm to Seward .
- Visit to the Iditarod Museum
- Scenic flight over the Alaska Range and Rainy Pass.
- Sightseeing flight along the Iditarod trail to the Athabaskan village of Nikolai
- Flight to the Takotna checkpoint in the historic Iditarod Mining District.
- Optional Dog Mushing, snowmobiling and flight seeing activities.
- Opportunity to be a volunteer checker at the McGrath checkpoint.
- Scenic flights along the Iditarod Trail to the villages of Unalakleet
and White Mountain.
- Snowcat excursion along the Iditarod Trail from Nome to the Safety Checkpoint.
- Snowcat excursion to Dredge #5 and to look for muskox.
- Opportunity to be standing there when the winning musher crosses the finish line and be part of the Nome party.
Cost and Details
February 25- March 14, 2014. $8800 shared accommodation, single supplement $900 - $2200 depending on availability.
- 6 nights accommodation in Anchorage
- 1 night accommodation at Alyeska Ski Resort
- 4 nights accommodation in McGrath
- 6 nights accommodation in Nome
- 10x Breakfast
- 12x Lunches
- 13x Dinners,
|Flight from Anchorage to McGrath
Flight from McGrath to Nikolai
Flight from McGrath to Takotna
Flight from Nome to Unalakleet
Flight from Nome to White Mountain
Snowcat ride to the Safety Checkpoint
Snowcat ride to Anvil Mountain and Dredge #5