2018 21 Day Iditarod Total Race Package. This Iditarod extravaganza is designed to let you experience all of the excitement of the race start, visit with the mushers at checkpoints along the race trail and experience the lifestyles and cultures of these remote villages, enjoy some fabulous sightseeing and wildlife viewing along Turnagain Arm and take a fantastic dog team tour. We start this tour with an incredible 7 hour trip to Iditarod Champion Dallas Seavey's kennel. Here you will tour the kennel, learn about dog mushing and take a sled dog ride! At the Iditarod Race Banquet you will mingle with the mushers, have photo ops with them and the opportunity to wish them well. Clients have the option to go through the dog handler certification that allows them to help bring the sled dogs up to the starting line at the Race start. How exciting is that for Iditarod fans! Optional activities at Alyeska include dog sled rides, snowmobiling, helicopter rides and of course skiing.
Once we leave Anchorage and fly over the spectacular Alaska Range to the village of McGrath, we will be in an area steeped in Alaskan mining history and Athabaskan Indian culture. In McGrath we will visit the remnants of Old Town McGrath, the jumping off point for miners headed to the gold rush in Iditarod, Cripple and Ophir. We will visit the McGrath Museum and the Fish and Wildlife office to meet local experts on the history of the area. We will also fly to Nikolai and Takotna, traditional Athabaskan Indian villages. You will find this tour to be richly rewarding in both the interaction you will have with the Iditarod racers and the local residents.
The Bering Sea is a unique environment and March is a wonderful time to experience it. Flying along the coastline as we visit the Unalakleet and White Mountain checkpoints gives us wonderful views of this frozen expanse. We then travel along the frozen coastline and surrounding snow covered hills by helicopter to the Safety checkpoint, an experience you won't want to miss. In the villages we will get a taste of the Inupiaq Eskimo culture and lifestyle.
Being at the finish line when the winning musher comes up the chute and stops under the famous Burled Arch is something you will always remember. Throughout the rest of the week you will get the opportunity to cheer on and see many more mushers and their dogs finish this epic race.
21 Day Iditarod Race Tour Package Highlights
- 7 hour tour to Iditarod Champion Dallas Seavey's kennel and dog mushing
- Opportunity to be an Iditarod team dog handler with VIP privileges.
- Scenic drive along Turnagain Arm to the Alaska Wildlife Center and Alyeska Ski Resort
- Attend the Musher's Banquet and the Miners and Trappers Ball
- Attend the Iditarod Race start in Anchorage and restart in Willow.
- Visit to the Iditarod Museum in Wasilla
- Scenic flight over the Alaska Range and Rainy Pass.
- Sightseeing flight along the Iditarod trail to the Athabaskan village of Nikolai
- Sightseeing flight along the Iditarod trail to the Takotna checkpoint in the historic Iditarod Mining District.
- Opportunity to be a volunteer checker at the McGrath checkpoint.
- Scenic flight across Norton Sound to the village of Unalakleet at the mouth of the Unalakleet River.
- Scenic flight along the Iditarod Trail and Bering Sea to the picturesque village of White Mountain
- Helicopter sightseeing excursion along the Iditarod Trail from Nome to the Safety Checkpoint.
- Snowcat sightseeing excursion to Anvil Mountain for Muskox viewing and exploring the historic Dredge #5.
- Five mile dog sled ride and mushing lesson in Nome
- Informative Nome Museum and Cultural Center Tour
- Tickets to the Iditarod Finisher's Banquet
- Standing at the historic burled arch as the winning musher crosses the finish line.
- Opportunity for Northern Lights viewing
Cost and Details
February 27- March 19, 2018. $9700 shared accommodation, single supplement $1600 - $2450 depending on availability.
Tour Includes : Group lunches and dinners in Anchorage, all lunches, dinners and continental breakfasts in McGrath, continental breakfast and dinners in Nome; twenty nights lodging; transportation in Anchorage to the listed activities; flights between Anchorage, McGrath, Takotna and Nikolai; flights from Nome to Unalakleet and White Mountain; snowcoach rides as indicated and admission tickets to all listed activities. Does not included airfare between Anchorage and Nome, alcoholic beverages, gratuites for your guides or optional activities.